Desk Refresh


Here's a quick before and after project I've been meaning to share for awhile.

My husband found this cute old desk on the side of the road. Since he knew I had been wanting a desk for awhile, he took a chance, rescued it and brought it home to me. Although we don't have much extra room in our little home, it's just a little guy and we scooched some things around in the living room to make it work! I had been needing a spot to work on schoolwork, as well as store the supplies I've been accumulating. Here's how it looked when we rescued it (you can't see the dust, cobwebs and other treasures I cleaned from it :)):



To update it, I decided to go with white paint. Since we were adding a piece of furniture to our living room when that's really the last thing it needed, I didn't want to do something too bold or bright. And since I loved the result of the white on the bar stools, I thought it would coordinate well. (Although the barstools are part of the island in the 'kitchen,' our living room and kitchen are really all one room so they would coordinate.)

So, I got to work. An in-progress shot on the deck...

And here it is now, in its happy home!

drafting board and room sketches piled against the wall - excuse my mess!

I left the original drawer pull on the bottom drawer. The other four are from Building REsources (which I've blogged about before, here). I like the mis-matched look but am not completely thrilled with this mix. Keeping my eyes open for some replacements.

Here's a close-up of the cute vignette of the moment (it changes quite frequently :)).

Leftover tea tins, my colored pencils, a few journals (can never have too many!) and an adorable owl I found at Goodwill - isn't he cute? My husband's been teasing me about him - I'm not really an animal person (okay, not at all, but don't hate me) but for some reason there are a few animals which I really like in certain decorative forms. Recently that's owls and elephants. I've been perusing Ross' home section quite a bit recently and they've had quite a few elephants, but I'm holding out for just the right one! I'll leave you with one last shot of the vignette, cuz I love it just that much. :) Enjoy your week!


4 comments:

Melanie Reyes January 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

how resourceful and esthetic!!! :)
Well done! :)

Grammy Pammy January 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

Katie, are you aware that Tim's Grandma (Marge's mom) collected elephant figurines? Marge has them somewhere at her house.

Love your creativity and your eye for color!

Danielle Charles,  January 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM  

Katie,

You are so gifted! I truely love your style and creativity, I especially love the bright gold nobs contrasting the white finish. Absolutely fabulous!

Cheers,
Danielle

GT Home Experience January 11, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

Thanks ladies!

Pam - no, I didn't know about the elephant collection - how funny!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP